Challenges in System conversion from SAP ECC to SAP S/4HANA
10 Minute read 27-May-2019
- A good approach to adopt SAP S/4HANA would be to start with SAP S/4HANA Finance. In a phased approach, you can then let SAP S/4HANA take over the functions of the SAP ECC core.
- SAP S/4HANA Finance is a robust solution powered by SAP HANA for the CFO office. It provides instant insights with on-the-fly analysis across practically all dimensions of financial data.
- KTern helps you determine which would be the correct HANA adoption scenario based on impact analysis parameters across technical, functional, and business domains.
- Schedule a one-hour express session on KTern, its role in SAP S/4HANA Conversion, and a guided demo
SAP will stop mainstream support for SAP ECC in a periodic manner and pull the plug in 2025. This is primarily because SAP S/4HANA has effectively replaced SAP ECC and has become the market leader in the enterprise level ERP segment. Existing SAP customers are moving towards the adoption of SAP S/4HANA to realign their IT operations with their business and excel with the completion of typical maintenance for the SAP ERP 6.0 framework. It’s known to us that SAP S/4HANA primarily supports three options to complete the migration from SAP ECC to SAP S/4HANA, i.e.
- New Implementation
- System conversion
However, there are various factors which need to be considered before an organization selects one of the two choices. A new implementation is for organizations which want to reinvent their business operations and processes. In order to carry over the current system configurations and processes, enterprises must opt for the SAP S/4HANA system conversion path. The system conversion tactic is a faster and less troublesome approach which involves the conversion of existing SAP ERP system to the SAP S/4HANA with the assistance of tools and accelerators like KTern, Software Update Manager, ATC, etc. Although SAP S/4HANA Conversion is the optimal path for an SAP ECC to SAP S/4HANA migration, organizations still face a lot of challenges in SAP S/4HANA system conversion. In this article, some of the challenges faced by the organization are discussed.
Customer's Queries with respect to SAP S/4HANA Conversion
SAP S/4HANA has come up with several innovative functionalities and advantages to transform enterprises into intelligent enterprises. But still, most of the customers are not clear on what it takes to transform their current SAP ERP system to SAP S/4HANA. They have several queries running in their mind, like,
- What should be moved to SAP S/4HANA?
- What amount of time is taken by an SAP S/4HANA conversion project?
- What are the prerequisites of business and IT assets?
- How much will it cost?
To generate a reasonable approximation, it is required to comprehend the hazardous areas of the project. You might have heard that the transition to SAP S/4HANA is not only a technical enhancement, but it also includes modifications in functionality and various business practices. As compared to the advancements, the complications of errands in the functional areas are substantially more prominent. A huge number of modifications have been done in the field of finance till now, as compared to the other functional modules such as sales and distribution, material management, etc. These areas do not require many struggles and the modifications are mostly associated with the data model interpretation.
Challenges in SAP S/4HANA Conversion
Let us now discuss the challenging areas during the transition from SAP ERP to SAP S/4HANA system conversion.
1. Business Partner approach:
This is one of the transition areas all clients who are experiencing the conversion will get influenced from. The business partner master is responsible for maintaining clients and merchants in SAP S/4HANA because it is a single point of entry. The business partner is not a new idea as it has been in use through SAP Business Suite applications such as FSCM Credit and collect management, CRM, SRM or industry solutions. The concept has just been optimized and made mandatory for SAP S/4HANA.
The business partner can be considered as a chief master data object because it provides several benefits over the client and seller master records. A key benefit is the probability of a business partner to turn in several roles, for example, he can act as a seller and a client at a time and the likelihood to preserve several addresses and connection. It was impossible to become free from the client and seller master data model totally because it was decided to go ahead with this approach as a planned functionality. A lot of ERP applications are functioning with the traditional clients and seller tables as it is impossible to recreate the ERP application to work with the business partner. To solve this issue, a system called CVI structure is utilized to coordinate data from the business partner into the client and seller data tables. When a shift is done to business partner it implies the following for SAP S/4HANA conversion project:
- Restructuring of business processes associated with clients and sellers developments.
- Configuring the new business partner object and the CVI structure to coordinate between the business partner and clients.
- It is required to clean the client and seller master data so that the current clients and sellers will be duplicated into new business partner master data. These steps need to be carried out before the installation of SAP S/4HANA.
2. Financial Data Migration:This is one of the challenging phases of system conversion. Using your SAP ECC system, you have performed enough checks and amended all the recognized inconsistencies with the SAP S/4HANA Readiness Assessment powered by KTern or any other Assessment program. You are now able to install SAP S/4HANA, execute the Software Update Manager begin the financial data migration and execute the steps from the installation guide. However, it is required to run the transactional data consistency check, prior to the execution of the real migration table. Also, it is required to perform a consistency check after the completion of each migration step. There is a possibility of getting error messages which were left undetected during the earlier checks and assessments. Due to these errors, you may spend a huge amount of time (one month in place of one week) to find out the significance of these errors and resolve them. The available consistency checks in an SAP ERP system are unlike those important checks which are available after the SAP S/4HANA installation. These checks are more innovative and progressive, and able to catch those errors which are skipped by the standard set of checks in SAP ERP. If these errors are detected late in the project, it will result in data inconsistencies.
Therefore, it is necessary to clean and clear data at the time of financial data migration. To confirm the accuracy of the relocated data, you should carry out the modification of data, and the execution transactional and master data migration. These actions should be carried out at the time of system downtime. Thus, this is the most challenging phase of system conversion to SAP S/4HANA.
3. Data Inconsistencies:The financial data migration is a crucial stage of any transition to SAP S/4HANA. In this phase, the entire transactional data is moved into the new data model. In order to transfer the data effectively, the current transactional data should be perfect and consistent. There should be no concern regarding data integrity as this would increase your possibilities of errors. There are a few reasons that show how an enterprise winds up with inconsistent transactional data.
- Unreliable and conflicting updates made by specially developed programs and interfaces
- Inadequate modification or variations in master data
- Modifications done to the standard tables directly, for instance with the help of a well-known function code
4. Changes in Functionality:As compared to SAP ERP, a few important modifications are done in the functional scope of SAP S/4HANA. For example, applications like SAP Classic Cash and Liquidity Management are absent in SAP S/4HANA. They are substituted by the recently built SAP S/4HANA Cash Management. This application should be deployed and organized properly as it is a totally new application.
The other application such as SD Credit management is substituted with SAP Credit Management. In order to utilize the solution, it is required to organize and configure it as required. Moreover, it is required to relocate old credit management, master data and credit experiences. The new solutions should be utilized because there is no chance to use the legacy solution for credit management in SAP S/4HANA. It is anticipated that there will be broad changes in functionality for those elements which are not being substituted with new applications in SAP S/4HANA. With the help of new asset accounting you can perform accounting for parallel evaluations. Therefore, it is important to activate new asset accounting in advance or as a stage during SAP S/4HANA migration. Also, it is required to make technical prerequisites separately.
5. The new UI-SAP FIORI:This is the innovative user interface for SAP S/4HANA. The innovative web-based FIORI UI itself is a radical modification. It is totally different from the traditional SAP user interface because the entire concept has been modified be to role based. Some customers might be worried that the new FIORI based UI could hinder profitability since they would have to acclimatize themselves with the new interface. In addition, they could see the configuration of this FIORI user interface as a long and difficult procedure, which is especially common when an enterprise wants to adopt this UI totally. Therefore, most enterprises have selected the phased method where there is a limitation of FIORI applications during the SAP S/4HANA migration.
How KTern can help?
KTern is designed to help automate and manage SAP S/4HANA Conversions from start to finish. For customers who are about to start their journey from SAP ECC to SAP S/4HANA, KTern helps to assess the 14 mandatory parameters which must be checked before even considering a migration from SAP ECC to SAP S/4HANA. In addition to this comprehensive system study, KTern provides insights on fit gap analysis, recommended Fiori Applications, and estimates the project effort and timeline which will provide the best return on investment and with the least total cost of conversion. These deliverables of KTern and its This is packaged together as the SAP S/4HANA Readiness Assessment Program. To learn more about this program, contact us or schedule a demo session where we guide you through what is KTern, its value proposition for SAP S/4HANA Conversion, and offer a quick demo of the product and the SAP S/4HANA Readiness Assessment Program.
Once you are on your path from SAP ECC to SAP S/4HANA, KTern provides a comprehensive project management kernel to guide you through the 893 tasks which have mandated by SAP for SAP S/4HANA Migration through the system conversion route and provides a collaborative management platform for all the stakeholders involved in the project.
Finally, to ensure that your migrated data is without errors and inconsistencies, KTern offers an intelligent data validation suite as a part of its data management feature set. This specific feature of KTern helps to reduce weeks of manual effort and excel sheets into just a few hours of automation with KTern’s Data Validation algorithm.
Do get in touch with us if you would like to know more about KTern and its role in SAP S/4HANA Conversion or if you want to clarify your organization’s queries regarding your SAP S/4HANA migration.