SAP S/4HANA System Assessment using KTern
In this article “SAP S/4HANA System Assessment using KTern: A Case Study”, we will explain how the world’s leading supplier of semiconductor assembly and SMT equipment in Singapore used KTern to analyze their complete SAP ECC system and define a roadmap to achieve a stress-free conversion to SAP S/4HANA. One of the key customer value-adds of using KTern is the automation-led assessment approach which saved 30% of costs, efforts and timeline.
ASM Pacific Technology Limited
Our customer, established in 1975, is one of the world’s leading supplier of semiconductor assembly and Surface Mount Technology (SMT) equipment. They specialize in back-end equipments, materials and SMT solutions. They have a global presence in over 30 countries and has manufacturing facilities in several countries including China, Hong Kong, Singapore, Malaysia, Netherlands and the United Kingdom. They also have 10 R&D centres and over 1000 patents on leading-edge technologies.
Business Situation and Challenges
As a leading manufacturer and supplier of semiconductor materials, our customer delivers the highest value and innovative solutions to their customers through products and solutions with advanced technologies and excellent quality. In the back end, they had been utilizing SAP ECC for quite some time to manage their business operations.
They were investigating ways to rationalize and increase harmonization of their current ERP system and assessing the impact of a potential SAP S/4HANA transformation on its current ECC environment.
- SAP ECC 6 EHP 5
- 11.945 TB Database
- 1045 total SAP ERP users
- 14 Functional Modules
- 12058 Custom Objects
- 5788 Custom Programs
- 117 Add-ons
This transition from SAP ECC to S/4HANA was not going to be simple for our customer considering the complexity and the vast amount of data in the system. Hence, it was wise to analyze the complete ECC system and abide by the SAP Best Practices to ensure a stress-free conversion.
Our customer was looking for automation-driven assessment tools to reduce the cost, time and effort required. After comparing multiple products and services, they finally chose KTern to fulfil their requirements.
Solution provided by KTern
KTern is an SAP certified SaaS product built for SAP Digital Transformations. It’s unique automation, governance and collaboration capabilities helps ECC customers migrate to S/4HANA before 2025. It has 12 inbuilt modules and an AI & RPA driven “S/4HANAPEDIA” rule engine to cover the entire lifecycle of a S/4HANA project.
Our customer used KTern to assess their current SAP ECC system to determine the implications of the move to S/4HANA and the impact on current functionalities and associated system data.
Ready to partner with us?
If you wish to partner with us, kindly get in touch with us through our KTern Partner Program.Apply Now
Objectives of the Assessment
The main objectives of the SAP S/4HANA Assessment using KTern are:
- To assess our customer’s current ECC landscape including the data repository
- To identify and determine a roadmap from ECC to S/4HANA
- To assess the existing processes and identify pain points and improvement opportunities enabled through S/4HANA
- To suggest a data migration strategy to transfer selective data to S/4HANA with minimal impact on the business
- To identify and quantify business benefits and create high level financial case for change
- Provide an estimate of the indicative costs and timeline for the migration
How did KTern help?
KTern was connected to the SAP ECC sandbox system within 5 minutes with zero configurations. An automated assessment was executed to illustrate technical, functional, and business process impact of moving from ECC to S/4HANA.
- In the automated Landscape Assessment of KTern, the complete ECC landscape of our customer including the add-ons and interfaces was analyzed. It also analyzed the total number of SAP ERP users in the system and classified them into active and inactive users based on their usage.
- KTern’s automated Business Process Assessment performed the Simplification Item check, Business Function Analytics, and Enterprise Structure Mining. Based on the results from analyzing the business processes, KTern automatically provided Fiori app recommendations and Training Scenario Recommendations.
- The automated Custom Objects Assessment analyzed all the custom objects, programs, tables, enhancements and modifications in the system and their impact of moving to S/4HANA.
- In addition, after assessing the system, KTern also provided an automated roadmap and calculated the approximate amount of effort required for the migration to SAP S/4HANA.
- The entire assessment was completed in just 5 days instead of 40 days.
KTern Driven Benefits
In this way, KTern conducted a technical analysis of the customer’s SAP system and ECC landscape. It evaluated the existing processes to identify pain points and potential improvements enabled by S/4HANA. In addition, KTern also analyzed the data migration strategies to mitigate disruption to the business.
Following were some the key data-driven benefits provided by KTern throughout the course of the assessment:
- “S/4HANAPEDIA” empowered project automation and governance
- Cost and effort savings due to reduced resource deployment
- Huge time savings due to elimination of configurations and manual work
- Improved collaboration and efficiency among all project stakeholders
- One product to control the entire assessment
You might also want to get a first-hand experience of the features of KTern. You can get started with the same at https://ktern.com/get-started. Alternatively, if you would like a guided demo of the product from one of our product engineers, kindly get in touch with us by submitting a message at https://ktern.com/company/contact.
Want to read a high level case study of their SAP S/4HANA Readiness Assessment?
We’ll also send you more information on KTern and SAP S/4HANA Conversion later. No spam though. You’ll not get more than 2 emails per month.