SAP S/4HANA System Conversion using KTern: A Case Study
In this article “SAP S/4HANA System Conversion using KTern: A Case Study”, we will explain how a leading E-Services provider in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia achieved a faster and safer move from SAP ECC to SAP S/4HANA using KTern. One of the key customer value-adds of using KTern is the automation led approach which saved 30% of costs, efforts and timeline.
Table of contents
- SAP S/4HANA System conversion
- The Company
- Business Situation and Challenges
- Solution provided by KTern
- Before the transition
- During the transition
- After the transition
- KTern Driven Benefits
- Next Steps
SAP S/4HANA System conversion
SAP S/4HANA is the latest generation of SAP's enterprise resource planning (ERP) software. It is designed to help organizations streamline their business processes and operate more efficiently. For organizations that are already using SAP ERP, a system conversion to SAP S/4HANA is a logical next step.
A system conversion involves migrating the existing SAP ERP system to SAP S/4HANA. This process is different from a new implementation of SAP S/4HANA, where the organization starts from scratch with a new system.
SAP S/4HANA system conversion can be a complex and challenging process, as it involves a significant amount of data migration and system configuration. However, the benefits of moving to SAP S/4HANA are significant, including improved performance, better decision-making capabilities, and enhanced user experience.
To ensure a successful SAP S/4HANA system conversion, organizations need to carefully plan and execute the process. This may involve selecting a conversion approach, evaluating system requirements, performing data migration, and testing the system to ensure it is functioning as intended.
With over 35 years of experience in providing electronic services and solutions across the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, our client delivers the highest quality of e-services, training and consultation services, IT solutions, and government outsourcing services to meet their customer’s expectations. They strive to innovate and serve various sectors operating in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia. They also have an eye on Saudi’s Vision 2030 which focusses on national expertise building and IT localization.
Business Situation and Challenges
As a leading e-services provider, they deliver ready-made and customized solutions to help their customers achieve their full potential. In the back end, they had been utilizing SAP ECC for quite some time to manage their business operations. They were eager to move to S/4HANA to improve their system performance and simplify the key business processes.
- SAP ECC 6 EHP 6
- 420 GB SQL database
- 5173 total SAP ERP users
- 2616 custom objects
- 17 company codes
This transition from SAP ECC to S/4HANA is not simple and unlike any other upgrade project. The implications of the conversion are felt across the business. It is a time-consuming process and involves a lot of manual effort in terms of testing, data validation, custom code migration and much more.
Solution provided by KTern
The IT team of our client evaluated multiple leading products in the market. The team wanted an all-in-one product suite from where they could automate and manage the system conversion from start to finish. And, KTern was their unanimous choice.
Before the transition
- KTern conducted an automated S/4HANA assessment to illustrate technical, functional, and business process impact of moving to S/4HANA
- It provided auto-recommendations pertaining to testing strategy, landscape & infra, and data archiving
- KTern auto-generated an S/4HANA conversion blueprint incorporating the right plan, the right effort, the right cost, the right system sizing, the right project management, and the right quality
Our client was looking for a tool that could simplify the transition and guarantee a risk-free system conversion. This is where KTern fit the bill perfectly.
During the transition
You can create several custom transactions, tables, reports and objects in your SAP system. However, before moving to S/4HANA, it is necessary to analyze all the custom objects in order to determine the most used objects and to retire some custom objects. Without a single unified view of all the custom objects, it is very difficult to figure this out. However, KTern is here to save the day. It automates the process of custom object analytics.
KTern provided the maximum value to our client in this phase by automating the custom code migration, testing and the data validation. Accurate custom code migration and testing greatly reduced the timeline and effort involved in the project.
KTern is an SAP certified SaaS product built for SAP Digital Transformations. It’s unique automation, governance and collaboration capabilities helps ECC customers migrate to S/4HANA.
KTern added value through:
- Custom process refinement using preset automation rulesets for custom code remediation
- Business Process Automation Testing based on ECC system usage and inbuilt datasets
- Automated Data Validation based on the migrated data from ECC to S/4HANA
After the transition
Even after go-live of the project, KTern continuously provided value through:
- Provision of a repository of test cases, issues, and bugs for faster and safer future upgrades
- Readily available and accessible data for audit requirements
- UX transformation through Fiori App Recommendations
KTern Driven Benefits
The client’s SAP ECC system was smoothly converted to SAP S/4HANA without any glitches. The cost, timeline and effort were much lower than what was anticipated at the beginning of the project. All this was possible only by using KTern.
KTern's 12 inbuilt modules and inbuilt AI & RPA driven “S/4HANAPEDIA” rule engine covers the entire lifecycle of an S/4HANA project.
Following were some the key data-driven benefits provided by KTern throughout the course of the project:
- Improved collaboration and efficiency between all stakeholders involved in the project
- “S/4HANAPEDIA” and SAP Activate empowered project automation, management, governance
- Impact Assessment of 20+ parameters in 3 days instead of 20-man days
- Custom Code Remediation in 4 days instead of 30-man days
- Completion of testing in 15 days instead of 120-man days
- Data validation in 1 day instead of 40-man days
- One product to control the conversion from start to finish
You might also want to get a first-hand experience of the features of KTern. You can get started with the same by scheduling a demo.
Alternatively, if you have any queries, feel free to contact us.